HSK Level 4
HSK (Level 4) assesses candidates’ ability in daily practice of the Chinese language. This is the equivalent of Level IV of the Chinese Proficiency Scale for Speakers of Other Languages, as well as level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF). Applicants who have passed the HSK Level 4 can start a conversation in Chinese using a wide range of subjects and can communicate freely with people who speak Chinese as their first language.
Purpose of the HSK 4 exam
HSK level 4 is for students who have taken Chinese lessons for approximately 2 to 4 hours per week for 4 semesters (2 school years). These students learn 1,200 common words and associated grammatical patterns.
Contents of the HSK 4 exam
HSK level 4 consists of a listening test, a reading test and a writing test. It contains 100 test items.
The HSK 4 exam will last 105 minutes (including 5 minutes during which candidates will fill in personal information).
1. Listening comprehension HSK 4
- Part 1 consists of 10 elements. The recording of each element will only be heard once. A short excerpt will be read for each of the elements. After that, a proposal will also be offered on the examination sheet. The candidate must choose whether the proposal is true or false.
- Part 2 consists of 15 elements. The recording of each element will only be heard once. Each of the elements includes a dialogue between 2 people. The third person will ask a question based on dialogue. The examination sheet will offer four possible answers from which candidates will choose the correct answer based on what they hear.
- Part 3 consists of 20 elements. The recording of each element will only be heard once. This part contains 4 to 5 conversational sentences or monologues followed by one or two questions. The examination sheet will offer four answers, from which the candidate will choose the correct answer.
2. Understanding HSK 4 text
- Part 1 consists of 10 elements. For each element, one or two sentences will be proposed, among which one or more words will be missing. The candidate must choose one of the suggested words to fill in the blanks.
- Part 2 consists of 10 elements. Each of the elements contains 3 sentences, which the candidate will arrange in the correct order.
- Part 3 consists of 10 elements. Each of the elements contains a short passage, so one or two questions will be asked about that passage. The candidate must choose the best answer out of 4 suggested.
3. Writing HSK 4
- Part 1 consists of 10 elements. Each element contains several words. The candidate must compose a proposal using the same words.
- Part 2 consists of 5 elements. Each element contains a picture and a word. The candidate must write a sentence after the image of the word.
4. HSK 4 results
For HSK (Level IV), four scores will be given by title: Listening, Reading, Writing and Overall Score. The candidate must score at least 180 points out of 300 possible for admission.
The Chinese language certificate opens the doors of Chinese universities for international students, HSK results are valid for 2 years (from the date of the exam)
You are on the page where you can see all the information about the HSK 4 exam, but you can also see additional information using the buttons.