HSK Level 5
HSK (Level 5) assesses candidates’ ability to practice the Chinese language every day. It is the equivalent of level V of the Chinese Proficiency Scale for Speakers of Other Languages and level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF). Applicants who have passed the HSK 5 level can read Chinese newspapers and magazines, enjoy Chinese movies and games, and finally have a long conversation.
Purpose of the HSK 5 exam
HSK Level 5 is for students who have studied Chinese for 2 to 4 hours per week for more than 2 school years. These students learn 2,500 common words and associated grammatical patterns.
Contents of the HSK 5 exam
HSK (level V) consists of tests in listening, reading and writing. In total, it contains 100 tasks.
The exam lasts 125 minutes (including 5 minutes during which candidates fill out personal information).
1. Listening comprehension HSK 5
- Part 1 consists of 20 elements. The recording of each element will only be heard once. Each element consists of a dialogue involving 2 people and a third person asks a question about the dialogue. The examination sheet will give four possible answers. Applicants should choose the best answer based on what they hear.
- Part 2 consists of 25 elements. The recording of each element will only be heard once. This part consists of 4-5 sentences of dialogue or monologue followed by one or more questions. The examination sheet will give four possible answers. The candidate must choose the best answer out of four.
2. Understanding HSK 5 text
- Part 1 consists of 15 elements. This part consists of several passages with holes, which must be completed with a word or a sentence. The candidate must choose the best answer from four possible ones.
- Part 2 consists of 10 elements. Each question consists of a passage and four possible answers. The candidate must choose which of the four answers most closely matches the passage.
- Part 3 consists of 20 elements. This section consists of several passages followed by several questions. The candidate will have to choose the best answer from four suggested ones.
3. Writing HSK 5
- Part 1 consists of 8 elements. Each element consists of several words, from which the candidate must compose a proposal.
- Part 2 consists of 2 elements. The first paragraph is multi-word and requires the candidate to write an article, approximately 80 words, using the suggested words. The second element consists of an image and requires the candidate to write an article based on the image with approximately 80 words.
4. HSK 5 results
For HSK 5, four results will be disclosed: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Overall Score. The candidate must score at least 180 out of 300 possible points for admission.
The Chinese language certificate opens the door to admission to Chinese universities for international students. HSK is also a benchmark for companies to assess the level of Chinese language proficiency when applying for a job. HSK results are valid for 2 years. (From the day of the exam)
Applicants who have passed the HSK 5 level can easily understand written and spoken Chinese and can express their thoughts in Chinese both orally and in writing.
You are on the page where you can see all the information about the HSK 5 exam, but you can also see additional information using the buttons.