HSK Level 2
HSK (Level 2) assesses the candidates’ ability in daily practice of the Chinese language. It is the equivalent of Level II of the Chinese Proficiency Scale for Speakers of Other Languages and level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF). Applicants who take the HSK (Level 2) have a good understanding of basic Chinese and can communicate in a simple, routine language that requires a direct exchange of information on general topics.
Purpose of the HSK exam 2
HSK level 2 is for students who have taken Chinese lessons for 2 semesters (one academic year) with 2-3 hours of lessons per week. These students learn 300 common words as well as associated grammar patterns.
Contents of the HSK 2 exam
The HSK Level 2 exam consists of listening and reading. It contains 60 items in total.
The exam will last 55 minutes (including 5 minutes during which candidates will fill in personal information).
1. Listening comprehension HSK 2
- Part 1 consists of 10 elements. The recording of each element will be heard twice. For each item, a dialog and several images will be presented. Applicants must answer true-false based on what they have heard.
- Part 2 consists of 10 elements. The recording of each element will be heard twice. For each item, a dialog and several images will be presented. Applicants will be able to choose the best answer based on what they hear.
- Part 3 consists of 10 elements. The recording of each element will be heard twice. Each element consists of a dialogue between 2 people. The third person will ask a question about this dialogue. The examination sheet will offer three possible answers from which the candidate can choose the best answer based on what he hears.
- Part 4 consists of 5 elements. The recording of each element will be heard twice. Each of the elements consists of 4-5 sentences of dialogue between 2 people. The third person will ask a question at the end of the passage. The examination sheet will offer three answers from which the candidate can choose the best answer based on what he hears.
2. Understanding HSK 2 text
- Part 1 consists of 5 elements. Several images will be presented on the exam sheet. A proposal will be offered for each item. The candidate must select the appropriate images based on the proposal.
- Part 2 consists of 5 elements. For each element, 1 or 2 sentences with a missing word will be suggested. The candidate must choose 1 or more words in the part of the answer to fill in the blanks.
- Part 3 consists of 5 elements. There will be 2 suggestions for each item. The candidate must assess whether the second sentence matches the first.
- Part 4 consists of 10 elements. This part will offer 20 proposals. The candidate is asked to find a match between the proposals.
All items on the examination sheet will be presented in pinyin.
3. HSK 2 results
For HSK 2, three results are given: listening, reading and overall score. A candidate must score at least 120 points out of 200 to be considered accepted.
The Chinese language certificate opens the door to admission to Chinese universities for international students. HSK is also the benchmark for companies to measure Chinese proficiency when applying for a job. HSK results are valid for 2 years. (From the day of the exam)
Applicants who have passed the HSK Level 2 are able to communicate in Chinese at a basic level in their daily, school and professional life. During a trip to China, they can conduct most of the conversations in Chinese.
You are on the page where you can see all the information about the HSK 2 exam, but you can also see additional information using the buttons.