With the aim of training qualified teachers of the Chinese language, as well as the international promotion of the Chinese language and culture, the Headquarters of the Confucius Institutes, together with the Office of the International Council of the Chinese Language (Hanban), established the Confucius Institute scholarship and instructed the branches of the Confucius Institute (the recommending organization) to independently set the timetable for classes. the location and timing of the Chinese language proficiency exams, and to recommend outstanding Chinese students and teachers for scholarships for admission to Chinese universities (host).
I. General requirements for applicants for all types of scholarships:
- Lack of Chinese citizenship;
- Good health, high moral character and erudition;
- Plans to teach the Chinese language, work in the field of teaching and international promotion of the Chinese language;
- Ages 16 to 35 (from September 1, 2020) For Chinese teachers – up to 45 years old, applicants for undergraduate scholarships are usually up to 25 years old.
II. Types of scholarships and requirements for applicants:
1. Scholarship for postgraduate studies in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language.
The beginning of classes is September 2020, the period of financial support is 4 years. Applicants must have a Master’s Degree in Chinese as a Foreign Language, Linguistics, Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, or other teaching specialization. The level of knowledge of the Chinese language – HSK 6 (from 200 points), HSKK the highest level (from 60 points). At least 2 years of experience in teaching Chinese or a Chinese-related field.
2. Scholarship for study in the magistracy in the specialty “Teaching Chinese as a foreign language”.
The beginning of classes is September 2020, the period of financial support is 2 years. Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree. The level of knowledge of the Chinese language – HSK 5 (from 210 points), HSKK intermediate (from 60 points). Priority is given to candidates who submit an agreement with an educational institution for employment in a future specialty after graduation.
3. Scholarship for undergraduate studies in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language
The beginning of classes is September 2020, the period of financial support is 4 years. Applicants must have a high school diploma or higher. The level of knowledge of the Chinese language – HSK 4 (from 210 points), HSKK intermediate (from 60 points).
4. Language internship for one academic year
The beginning of classes is September 2020, the period of financial support is 11 months. Applications from students already studying in the PRC are not accepted. Programs:
- “Teaching Chinese as a foreign language”: the level of knowledge of the Chinese language – HSK 3 (from 270 points), the presence of a certificate of passing the HSKK.
- “Chinese Language and Literature”, “History of China”, “Philosophy of China”: the level of knowledge of the Chinese language – HSK 4 (from 180 points), HSKK intermediate level (from 60 points).
- “Chinese language”: the level of knowledge of the Chinese language – HSK 3 (from 210 points)
5. Language internship for one academic semester
Beginning of classes – September 2020 Or March 2021 Term of financial support – 5 months. The scholarship is NOT available to persons who have or have had a Chinese visa (type X1 or X2). Programs:
- “Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language”, “Chinese Language and Literature”, “History of China”, “Philosophy of China”: the level of knowledge of the Chinese language – HSK 3 (from 180 points), the presence of a certificate of passing the HSKK.
- “Chinese medicine”, “Taiji culture”: the presence of a certificate of passing the HSK.
6. Language internship for four weeks
Classes start in July 2020 or December 2020. The term of financial support is 4 weeks. The scholarship is NOT available to persons who have or have had a Chinese visa (type X1 or X2). Programs:
- “Chinese medicine”, “Taiji culture”: the presence of a certificate of passing the HSK.
- “Chinese language + living in a Chinese family”: the presence of a certificate of passing the HSK. Confucius Institute forms groups of 10-15 people and contacts the host to approve the training plan.
- Special program for students of Confucius institutes: availability of HSK certificate. The Confucius Institute forms groups of 10-15 people.
7. Scholarships offered by Hanban jointly with host universities.
Hanban, together with the host universities, established the Confucius Institute of the XX University, which includes the following programs:
- Language internship for one academic year;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language;
- Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language;
- Chinese language + technical specialty.
Students are recruited in accordance with the rules and criteria of each university. University requirements, as well as the number of places for each program, are indicated in Appendix 3.
III. Application process
From March 1, 2020, the applicant must register on the Confucius Institute website (cis.chinese.cn) and apply for the Confucius Institute Scholarship. After logging into the system, you must select the recommending organization and the host university and upload all the necessary documents, and then track the process of processing the application and the result of its consideration on the website. The scholarship holder clarifies with the host university the procedure for arriving in China for study. Then the scholarship certificate must be printed from the system. The scholarship holder must arrive at the university and register in accordance with the deadlines specified in the notice of admission.
- April 20 (for those who start their studies in July)
- May 20 (for those who start their studies in September)
- September 20 (for those who start their studies in December)
- November 20 (for those who start their studies in March 2021)
Hanban reviews applications and selects fellows at the same time frame. The decision on awarding the scholarship is published 3 months before the start of the study.
IV. Winners of the “Chinese Bridge” competition
Holders of the 2020 China Bridge Scholarship Award certificate must register on the Confucius Institute scholarship website, send a scan of the certificate, and apply to the host university.
For more information, contact [email protected].
V. About recommending organizations and host universities
On the basis of this document, the recommending organization and the receiving party fulfill their obligations, provide information, nominate candidates for scholarships, recruit students, etc.
1. Information about the curriculum and subjects can be obtained by contacting the host institution.
2. The scholarship seeker must familiarize himself with the specific recruitment requirements of the host institution, register on time and send the required documents.
3. Students of undergraduate, graduate and doctoral studies must pass an annual test of knowledge, for more details see “Methods for an annual test of knowledge of scholars of the Confucius Institute”.
4. Scholars who did not register on time upon arrival at the university, whose health condition does not meet the established requirements, as well as who refused to study, or who took academic leave, are deprived of the right to the Confucius Institute scholarship.
VII. How to contact Hanban
Hanban Scholarship Division
Email: [email protected]
Fax: + 86-10-58595727
1. Content and criteria of material support for the Confucius Institute scholarship
2. List of required documents for the application for the Confucius Institute scholarship
3. Scholarships provided by Hanban jointly with host universities, as well as the number of places for each program for 2020.
Confucius Institutes Headquarters /
Office of the International Council of the Chinese Language (Hanban)
November 11, 2019
Content and criteria of material support for the Confucius Institute scholarship.
The Confucius Institute Scholarship includes: tuition fees, dormitory accommodation, daily necessities (excluding four-week programs) and comprehensive health insurance.
1. Tuition fees go to the host university and cover the educational, organizational costs, the cost of the organizational fee for the Chinese language exam. The student shall bear the cost of purchasing study materials and tickets to tourist attractions.
2. Payment for living in a hostel goes to the host university, which provides the student with a place in the hostel, usually in a room for two people. The scholarship holder can apply to the university with a request to consider the possibility of living off-campus; in case of a positive decision, the university will pay monthly or once a season the amount of accommodation in the amount of 1,000 yuan per month for doctoral students and 700 yuan per month for other categories of students.
3. Payments to cover expenses for daily needs are made monthly: bachelors, trainees in annual and semester programs – in the amount of 2,500 yuan; undergraduates – 3,000 yuan; for doctoral students – 3,500 yuan.
To be awarded a scholarship, the student must arrive at the receiving institution and register within the deadline set by the notice of enrollment, otherwise the right to the scholarship will be lost. Those arriving before the 15th day of the current month (inclusive) receive a monthly payment in full; arriving after the 15th day of the current month – 50% of the monthly amount.
If during the academic semester (except for winter and summer holidays) the scholarship holder leaves China for more than 15 days for personal reasons, the scholarship payment will be terminated.
In cases where a scholarship holder for personal reasons refuses to study, takes an academic leave or is subject to disciplinary punishment from the host university, the payment of the scholarship is terminated from the date of receipt of notification of the above circumstances.
The scholarship for the last month for graduating students is transferred to the host institution within half a month from the set completion date of the program.
4. A comprehensive health insurance policy is purchased by the host university in accordance with the requirements of the Ministry of Education of the PRC on insurance of foreign students. The insurance premium for students for four weeks is 160 yuan per person, during the semester – 400 yuan per person, for a year or more – 800 yuan per year per person.
List of required documents for the Confucius Institute scholarship application.
1. For all applicants:
- scan of a page with a photo of a foreign passport;
- a scan of the certificate of passing the HSK, HSKK exams (the results are valid for two years after the exam);
- letter of recommendation from the responsible person of the referring institution.
2. For applicants applying for bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs:
- a notarized translation into Chinese or English of a document on the highest available degree of education (certificate, diploma or certificate of the upcoming completion of training);
- translation of the report card (translation of a diploma with an attachment or a transcript for those who are still studying)
For applicants applying for doctoral studies:
- two letters of recommendation from teachers in the field of teaching Chinese as a foreign language with the title of assistant professor or higher, or from specialists with a comparable title in the professional and technical field (in Chinese or English);
- an individual study plan (includes information about the knowledge of the specialty for which the applicant is applying, and an approximate plan of research work during training, the volume is about 3000 characters).
For applicants applying for a master’s degree:
- two letters of recommendation from senior lecturers with a title of at least associate professor (in Chinese or English). Priority is given to candidates who provide an employment agreement with an educational organization upon graduation.
For applicants holding the position of Chinese language teacher:
- certificate from the place of work
- letter of recommendation from an educational institution
For applicants under the age of 18:
power of attorney for the person who takes over the duties of guardianship over him in China with his signature.
Scholarship applicants must also provide other documents upon request from the host institution.
Hanban scholarships in partnership with host universities and the number of places per program for 2019.
|Language internship for one academic year / semester||Bachelor’s Degree in Chinese||Master’s Degree in Chinese||“Chinese language + technical prof. training”||Specialties of technical prof. preparation|
|1||兰州大学孔子学院奖学金Lanzhou University (Lanzhou)||80||80||20||0|
|2||东北师范大学孔子学院奖学金 Northeastern Normal University (Changchun)||0||0||20||0|
|4||上海外国语大学孔子学院奖学金Shanghai University of Foreign Studies (Shanghai)||0||20||15||0|
|5||福建师范大学孔子学院奖学金Fujian Normal University (Fuzhou)||50||20||20||0|
|6||浙江师范大学孔子学院奖学金Zhejiang Normal University (Jinhua)||60||20||20||0|
|7||天津师范大学孔子学院奖学金Tianjin Normal University (Tianjin)||0||20||10||0|
|8||长沙理工大学孔子学院奖学金Changshan Polytechnic University (Changsha)||10||0||0||20||Chinese + Food Engineering (20 bachelor students)|
|9||贵州大学孔子学院奖学金Guizhou University (Guizhou)||50||0||0||0|
|10||山东师范大学孔子学院奖学金Shandong Normal University (Jinan)||10||15||20||0|
|11||青岛大学孔子学院奖学金 Qingdao University (Qingdao)||30||30||15||20||Chinese + Commerce (20 Bachelor students)|
|12||云南师范大学孔子学院奖学金Yunnan Normal University (Kunming)||30||10||10||0|
|13||浙江农林大学孔子学院奖学金Zhejiang University of Agriculture and Forestry (Zhejiang)||50||0||0||60||Chinese language + technology of construction of wooden structures (20 masters) / landscape architecture (20 masters) / food engineering (20 masters)|
|14||沈阳师范大学孔子学院奖学金 Shenyang Normal University (Shenyang)||0||10||0||0|
|15||大连国外语大学孔子学院奖学金Dalian University of Foreign Studies (Dalian)||30||20||20||0|
|16||中央财经大学孔子学院奖学金Central University of Economics and Finance (Beijing)||0||0||0||60||Chinese + finance (15 masters) / accounting (15 masters) + international business (15 masters) + project management in construction (15 masters)|
孔子学院奖学金Tianjin University of Technology and Education (Tianjin)
|0||0||0||40||Chinese language + car service / mechanical design of production and automation (20 people bachelor’s degree)|
|18||哈尔滨师范大学孔子学院奖学金Harbin Normal University (Harbin)||30||20||15||0|