HSK Level 3
HSK (Level 3) assesses candidates’ ability in daily practice of the Chinese language. It is the equivalent of Level III of the Chinese Proficiency Scale for Speakers of Other Languages and level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF). Applicants who have passed the HSK 3 level are able to interact with the basic level in their daily, academic and professional life. During their trip to China, they can conduct most of their conversations in Chinese.
Purpose of the HSK 3 exam
HSK 3 is for students who have taken Chinese language lessons for 3 semesters (one and a half year of the academic year) with 2-3 hours of classes per week. These students learn 600 common words as well as associated grammatical patterns.
Contents of the HSK 3 exam
The HSK Level 3 exam consists of the Listening, Reading and Writing sections. It contains 80 points in total.
The exam lasts 90 minutes (including 5 minutes during which candidates fill out personal information).
1. Listening comprehension HSK 3
- Part 1 consists of 10 elements. The recording of each element will be heard twice. For each item, a dialog and several images will be presented. Applicants must select appropriate images based on what they have heard.
- Part 2 consists of 10 elements. The recording of each element will be heard twice. A short passage will be read for each item, followed by a statement that will also appear on the sheet. Applicants must assess whether a statement is true or false.
- Part 3 consists of 10 elements. The recording of each element will be heard twice. Each element consists of a dialogue between 2 people. The third person will ask a question about this dialogue. The examination sheet will offer three possible answers from which the candidate can choose the best answer based on what he hears.
- Part 4 consists of 10 elements. The recording of each element will be heard twice. Each element consists of 4-5 sentences of dialogue between 2 people. The third person will ask a question based on dialogue. The exam sheet will offer three possible answers from which candidates can choose the best answer based on what they hear.
2. Understanding HSK 3 text
- Part 1 consists of 10 elements. In this part, 20 proposals will be proposed and the candidate will have to link them.
- Part 2 consists of 10 elements. For each of the elements, 1 or 2 sentences will be offered, among which one word will be missing. The candidate must choose one of the suggested words to fill in the gap.
- Part 3 consists of 10 elements. This section consists of 10 short passages, each followed by a question. The candidate must choose the best answer out of 3 possible options.
3. Writing HSK 3
- Part I consists of 5 elements. Each element combines several words. The candidate must construct a sentence using the suggested words.
- Part II consists of 5 elements. Each element has a sentence with a lot of missing words. The candidate must fill in the blanks with the appropriate Chinese words.
4. HSK 3 results
For HSK level 3, the results are: Listening, Reading, Writing and General Assessment. For admission, the candidate must score at least 180 out of 300 points.
The Chinese language certificate opens the door to admission to Chinese universities for international students. HSK is also the benchmark for companies to measure Chinese proficiency when applying for a job. HSK results are valid for 2 years. (From the day of the exam)
Applicants who have passed the HSK 3 can start a conversation in Chinese using the thematic panel and can communicate freely with people who speak Chinese as their first language.
You are on the page where you can see all the information about the HSK 3 exam, but you can also see additional information using the buttons.